Kenneth L. Ratzlaff
||Director, Instrumentation Design Laboratory
Courtesy Professor of Chemistry
B.S., 1967, Tabor College
M.S., 1969, University of Illinois
Instructor, 1969-1973, Moeding College (Republic of Botswana)
Ph.D., 1975, University of Illinois
Assistant Professor, 1975-1981, Northern Illinois University
Associate Professor, 1981, Northern Illinois University
Associate Scientist, 1981-1986, The University of Kansas
Senior Scientist, 1986-present, The University of Kansas.
Instrumentation Design Lab Page
Analytical Chemistry: Instrumentation development, chemical applications of imaging detectors,
electronics for scientists education.
In addition to the operation of the Instrumentation
Design Laboratory, work in several other areas of interest is being
pursued. A current project is to reduce table-top instruments to the
size that a rat or other animal subject can carry on its back. Projects
of this type have multiple dimensions: new low- power design
capabilities, new construction techniques, and new software design
methods to name a few.
In the field of education, a need remains for techniques for teaching
about instrumentation. Students need to be exposed to the concepts of
electronic, computer-aided instruments without the burden of an
engineering course, all the while dealing with the concepts accurately.
Tools for lab-based study are being developed with support from the
- "Picosecond Time-resolved Laser Spectrometer with Expanded
Delay Range," Rev. Sci. Instrum., 59, 2375 (1988)
(with J. Bostick, C. Johnson, S. Mounter, D. Schloemer).
- "HPLC Determination of Transition Metal Ions by
Chemiluminescence Detected with a Charge-Coupled Device,"
Proceedings of the Society for Photo-Optical Instrumentation
Engineers, 1055, (1989) (with R. Jalkian and M. Denton).
- "Computation of Two-Dimensional Polynomial Least-Squares
Convolution Integers," Anal. Chem., 61, 1303
(1989) (with J. Johnson).
- "`Thin-Layer Chromatography Diskette' Storage of High
Performance Liquid Chromatographic Effluents with Off-Line
Laser-Induced Fluorescence Detection," Anal. Sciences, 6,
121-129 (1990) (with J. Strojek, S. Soper, T. Kuwana).
- "Surface-Enhanced Resonance Raman Spectroscopy of Liquid
Chromatographic Analytes on Thin-Layer Chromatographic Plates,"
Anal. Chem., 62, 1438 (1990) (with S. Soper, T. Kuwana).
- "Development of a Fourier Transform NMR Instrument
Simulator," J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci., 33, 303
- An Introduction to Computer-Assisted Experimentation,
Wiley- Interscience: New York, January, 1987.
- Charge-Transfer Devices in Spectroscopy, VCH: New York,
1994. (co-edited with Jonathan Sweedler and M. Bonner Denton).
- "A compact hot-nozzle Fourier-transform microwave
spectrometer," Rev.Sci.Instrum.,66(11), 5196
(1995) (with M.D. Harmony, K.A. Beran, D.M. Angst).
- "An automated tracer dispersal system for snow accumulation
and saltation transport investigations," Rev. Sci. Instrum., 69(2),
572-577 (1998) (with D. Braaten).
- "An inexpensive, semi-automated system for measuring
mechanical properties of soft tissues," Journal of Experimental
Zoology, 284(4), 374-378 (1999) (with David E. Alexander,
Ricardo J. Roggero, and Jennifer S.-Y. Hsieh.)
- "The Inebri-Actometer: A Device for Measuring the Locomotor
Activity of Drosophila Exposed to Ethanol Vapor," Journal of
Neuroscience Methods, 107, 93-99 (2001),
(with D. Ruden, A. Large, J. Parr and X. Wang.)
- ?In-Channel Electrochemical Detection for Microchip Capillary
Electrophoresis Using an Electrically Isolated Potentiostat?, Anal.
Chem., 74 (5), 1136 -1143, (2002) (with R. Scott Martin, Bryan H.
Huynh, Susan M. Lunte.)
- ?Updated Limits on the Ultra-High Energy (UHE) Neutrino Flux
from the RICE Experiment?, 29th International Cosmic Ray Conference Pune,
5, 123-126 (2005) (with I. Kravchenko and co-workers).
- ?RICE limits on the diffuse ultrahigh energy neutrino flux?,
Phys. Rev. D, 73, 82002 (2006) (with I. Kravchenko and